esenfr

The sources of the Region of Tierra de Pinares are cataloged in a new publication edited by the Prodestur laboratory

The sources of the Region of Tierra de Pinares are cataloged in a new publication edited by the Prodestur laboratory

Book 'Water in the Land of Pine Trees. Year 2017-2018 ' (

Book 'The Quality of Natural Sources of Segovia-Sur. Year 2016-2017 ' (

Make an inventory of the most representative natural sources of the territory to classify them according to their quality; carry out a hydrological study of the three basins of the area (Cega, Pirón and Duratón) to determine their periods of drought and their floods; reference the existing gaps and perform a physical-chemical analysis of the water of the natural space 'Lagunas de Cantalejo', are some of the objectives pursued by the second publication on the sources of the province that has edited the Laboratory of Prodestur, the agency dependent on the Diputación, and that on this occasion focuses on the Tierra de Pinares region, which encompasses 49 municipalities and 72 population centers.

The work has been developed searching and documenting the sources, springs or pylons that exist throughout the study area, locating their situation and analyzing the quality of the water in which samples could be collected, with a total of 127 sources outlined. This has been explained today by the president of the Provincial Council, Francisco Vázquez, who has appeared before the media together with the deputy of Prodestur, Magdalena Rodríguez; and the head of the Agrarian Section of Prodestur, Ana Escorial

The project has been carried out thanks to a grant from the Regional Ministry of Employment of the Junta de Castilla y León, which allowed the hiring of four people for six months (Tania de la Fuente de Andrés, Erik Rodríguez García, Silvia Gómez Fernanz and Javier Gómez Escobar), who are the ones who have undertaken the work.

With this publication, the aim is to inform the interested population and localities of a study on the water quality of the most representative sources of the Tierra de Pinares area and the best known tourist.

It also aims to disclose natural sources abandoned or unknown by the population because they are located in areas with little traffic and which also have a high landscape, historical and tourist value.

From each of the inventoried sources, a file has been formalized that collects information on its location (UTM coordinates), altitude, average flow, description of the construction and all possible data of interest. On the other hand, the Laboratory obtains information on the parameters that must be controlled to guarantee the quality of drinking water: hydrogen potential, electrical conductivity, nitrates, arsenic, ammonium and microbiological parameters such as total coliforms and E. Coli.

From the total of the 127 sources documented in this work, it has been possible to collect water from 57% of the total. The remaining 43% belongs to dry sources or with an insufficient water flow for the collection of a sample with the adequate conditions for its analysis.

Lagoons

The work also analyzes the wettest and drier times of year to make an annual hydrological balance of the three referenced channels and evaluates the conservation status of natural environments such as the Lagunas de Cantalejo natural area to be able to squeeze its tourist potential.

A total of one hundred and eleven lagoons have been cataloged in the region and a general census of the most representative species of flora and fauna in these wetlands has been carried out. Of the total number of lagoons collected, twenty-four (21%) are included in the catalog of wetlands in Castilla y León, under the umbrella of the RAMSAR agreement.

In the field of nature conservation, the lagoon complexes of Cantalejo and Lastras de Cuéllar - Hontalbilla (which represent the 20% of the lagoons) are declared as a natural area that has the figures of LIC and ZEPA ("Lagoons of Cantalejo ") within the 2000 Natura Network. Much of this natural space also has the figure of IBA Important Bird Area: IBA 54 "Río Cega - Tierra de Pinares" and is declared a Critical Area for the conservation of the black stork .

It is a new catalog that sees the light after the edited to investigate the sources and springs of the region of Segovia Sur -then a hundred were inventoried- with the aim of keeping all of them in conditions that make their use and use suitable. , which essentially depends on the quality of its waters.