The Museum of Segovia opened its doors in 1842, in the episcopal palace, under the tutelage of the Provincial Commission of Historical and Artistic Monuments, to conserve the collections of art objects coming from the Confiscation.
Throughout its history it will appear with different names: Museum of Paintings, Museum of Fine Arts, Provincial Museum and, the current one, Museum of Segovia.
Once at 1845, the museum's headquarters are moved to San Facundo. However, from the second half of s. XIX, the collections would be dispersed progressively to various venues, for exhibition or storage (San Facundo, San Juan and School of Arts and Crafts, Casa del Hidalgo and Chapel of the Old Hospital de Viejos), until it is installed and reunites again full in the Casa del Hidalgo and the adjoining building, in 1967.
In 1981 the management of the museum goes to the Autonomous Community of Castilla y León, although ownership remains state. In 1991 the collection is transferred to the Casa del Sol, a building given to the State by the City Council, where finally the permanent exhibition opens to the public in July of 2006, after years of restructuring the building.
The collection of the Museum is made up of archaeological, ethnological and fine arts backgrounds from the province of Segovia, for the most part. To the first stage of operation of the Museum responds the presence of a wide collection of paintings, sculpture and decorative arts, coming from the Confiscation of the s. XIX Some Roman and medieval epigraphs were added, as well as architectural fragments of Segovia buildings, as building actions intensified in the urban area of Segovia.
From the middle of the s. XX the funds were increased mainly with archaeological and numismatic pieces, coming from the excavations developed in the province as well as donations and deposits, much of them fruit of the work of A. Molinero.
Since the 1980 years the funds are regularly increased with archaeological materials resulting from the research and emergency activities developed in the province, of compulsory deposit in the museum; with donations and temporary deposits by institutions and individuals; and purchases of parts by the State or the Autonomous Community.
The building is located on a spur of the medieval enclosure, on the river Clamores, between three canvases of the wall. Although it seems to have originated in the fortification, the first news is from 1452, when a slaughterhouse is documented in this place. This use is extended in the building to 1973. On this architectural basis, the building reform, developed intermittently between 1986 and 2006, has led to the creation of a museum distributed according to a central courtyard, with a gallery, around which the different spaces of the Museum are arranged: entrance and access control, in the northeast corner; rooms for administration, library and restoration, in the western body; and permanent exhibition halls, on the east and north sides as well as on the upper floors and in the courtyard gallery. The basements of the building are intended to host a hall, stores and maintenance spaces.
The Museum of Segovia has a subsidiary, the Zuloaga Museum, whose headquarters are located in the church of San Juan de los Caballeros de Segovia.