Important doors are preserved, such as San Basilio, San Martín and San Andrés
Door of San Basilio.
Historically this door was also known as "Puerta del Robledo". It is located northwest of the citadel and is the door that best preserves its defensive architecture.
The Toledo-style Mudejar architectural style prevails throughout the defensive complex, highlighting narrow bands of brick between the masonry walls of lime and ridge, the brick arches with wide lime mortar and the access passageways to the adarve. The door is formed by a barrel vault reinforced with three arches flanks flanked by two towers, one rectangular and the other semicircular, from which inside the access to the two levels of the adarve. Between two of the arches the hollow of the rake is conserved. Crowning the door are two shields of the dukes of Alburquerque (arms of the Cave and Toledo) and the coat of Cuéllar Council appears on the outer brick arch. The defense of the door is completed with a semicircular tower that, reinforced with two small buttresses, is located northwest of the door, between the wall and the barbican. This tower at its base has a passage that served to tour the protected area next to the door of San Basilio.
Door of San Andrés
From the outskirts of the San Andrés neighborhood we can enter the second walled enclosure that corresponds to the medieval city. This door, of which only one of its arches is conserved, allows us to verify that this enclosure belongs to the primitive Mudejar wall of the XII-XIII centuries. The Mudejar remains are seen in the brick arch framed by an alfiz on which the shield of the Council of Cuellar appears.
The Cuéllar Council shield was used since the late Middle Ages, representing the head of a horse cut to the chest, and since then it has also remained the municipal shield of the Villa de Cuéllar. Some hypotheses suggest that the origin could be from Roman times, others think it was after the reconquest, and even that it is the head of the horse that the conqueror Almanzor had when he went to enter Cuéllar in the year 977 and the defenders of the Villa They dropped the portcullis of the wall by cutting the collar of the sorrel. Although most say that it is a reduction of the oldest seal concejil that was a horse harnessed with its rider.
Undoubtedly, this door was much more complex than what we see today and some remains let us see the hole in the rake, part of its barrier marked on the pavement or bricks in one of the edges of what would be one of the towers that They reinforced the door.
Door of the Jewish quarter
This small door located northeast of the citadel, possibly gave access to the medieval quarter of the same name and is the meeting point between the wall of the citadel and the city on its north side, very close to the door of San Andrés. Its walls connect directly with the ancient Study of Grammar, where you can still see some loopholes of the wall's adarve. The door is formed by a vaulted barrel vault where the stone quiches where the doors fit, which make us suppose the existence of a door with two leaves, collapsible towards the interior.
The existence of an important Jewish community in Cuéllar is reflected in several written documents that mention the contribution made in maravedis to the bishopric of Segovia or in the existence of at least one synagogue where in the 15th century Rabbi Abraham emphasized his oratory Simuel, theologian, philosopher and doctor of the first Duke of Alburquerque.
Door of Santiago
The door of Santiago was made with limestone ashlars on which stands the coat of arms of La Cueva, distinctive of the ducal house of Alburquerque. The door is reinforced with a slender tower, which with the recent restoration has managed to stand out on the rest of the wall to recover its original height. This tower was built with a masonry base of limestone and limestone, and at the top appear the corners made of solid brick and the smooth masonry panels alternating with brick courses, having a polygonal eight-sided structure of Mudejar type that later it was modified to give it the current cylindrical appearance and to be united and communicated with the church of Santiago.
Important is the "bird's eye view" that can be enjoyed from the medieval city from the upper terrace of the tower where interpretive panels can identify the most important monuments of the town, as well as the local environment, "the sea of pine trees" and the Guadarrama mountain range.
Door of San Martín
Door located on the east side of the walls of the citadel. It is one of the corners with greater medieval flavor of the Villa. Although there are no late medieval remains, the origin of this door is very likely to be Mudejar, since it is documented that in the year 1437 the Count of Luna, Fadrique de Aragón, took possession of this Villa next to the door of San Martin.
Flanking the door stand its two rectangular towers crowned by the shields of the house of Alburquerque and Toledo, which would correspond to the arms of the second Duke of Alburquerque who seems to have ordered his reconstruction. Equally important are its large limestone voussoirs under the shield of the City Council.
These formidable walls of lime and song and large stonework in their corners can still give us an idea of the feeling of impregnable power that this medieval village had. They can be seen in the distance in both directions as the churches of San Esteban and Santiago became defensive bastions to close the first walled enclosure.
Door of the Caves
The Door of the Caves is in the south cloth of the wall of the citadel, is the meeting point between the wall of the citadel and the city on its south side. Its ruinous state forced its demolition at the end of the 19th century, having recently been restored. Likewise, from this point we can access the existing lane between the city wall and the wall barrier next to the Huerta del Duque park.
The remains that remain of the tower on the west side of the door have a rectangular floor and shows in its walls the verdugadas of brick that confirm it was a Mudejar door that makes us suppose it could have characteristics similar to the door of San Basilio.
Door of San Pedro
The missing door of San Pedro closed the second walled enclosure on the southeast side of the city. Although there are no remains of the door, before reaching the church of San Pedro you can see an original cloth of the wall that provides the original height that it had and in which nine battlements are still preserved. The barbican continued ahead of the church of San Pedro.
The door of San Pedro was eliminated the year 1895 for its dilapidated condition, although there is no doubt that it must have been a door of great proportions to be able to allow the connection between the door and the adarve of the church of San Pedro, besides that this door It was a representation of the symbol of the power of the Villa to be held together with it some of the most important events of the time as it was the act of delivery of the Villa to a new lord.
Gate of the Trinity
The door of the Trinity or the Trinitarians owes its name to its proximity to the convent that we found outside the walls very close to here. This door is not known its shape and characteristics, since its bad conservation is documented from 1777 and was ordered to demolish between 1879 and 1880 due to its state of ruin.
Gate of Carchena
From the door of Carchena or Larchena, also called "Arch of San Francisco" because it is in front of the "Franciscan convent space" where the convents of Santa Ana, La Concepción and San Francisco are located, only a part of what would be preserved the tower on the north side having a width that exceeds the 4 meters. Due to its dilapidated condition, it was ordered to demolish in the 1873 year and in 1878 another section adjacent to the vanished door collapsed.
This door had a symbolic power during the Middle Ages that can be seen in an 1416 document that in the name of the infant Juan, son of the Aragón king Fernando de Antequera, as a symbol of power, the keys of the Carchena door were given to the bachelor Rodrigo Álvarez ..
Door of the Magdalena
This small door, which could be considered as a shutter was part of the second walled enclosure and is next to the old Hospital de la Magdalena. From this door you can access the walled complex next to the Mercado del Pan square, near the church of San Esteban. Its origin was possibly Mudejar, since there are remains of a brick arch between the thickness of the wall of masonry of lime and ridge of the wall.
Gate of the Exangel
Door or shutter that is in the second walled enclosure next to the convent of the Trinitarians. Its pointed brick arch could give it a chronology of the primitive mudejar stage, although the layout and size of the bricks and lime mortar indicate that it is later.
Gate of the Castle Esplanade
On the south side of the esplanade that is in front of the Castle, in front of the church of San Martín, we see a small door that connects the first walled enclosure with the Huerta del Duque.