In addition to the churches, Cuéllar has convents and sanctuaries throughout the town.
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Henar
Located about five kilometers from Cuéllar to the northwest, it is the most important center of devotion in the whole region. It has around it a recreational area equipped with different services to make more pleasant the stay of the large number of people who come throughout the year on excursions and other festivals, such as the resineros, Henarillo, El Carmen, Santiago, etc. ., in addition to the pilgrimage of Our Lady of the Henar that is celebrated the Sunday before to San Mateo, between the 14 and the 20 of September.
The image of Our Lady of El Henar is a carving of the twelfth century, which is venerated since its apparition to a shepherd there by 1580. In the precincts of the Sanctuary is the Fuente del Cirio, a place where, according to tradition, the image was hidden from the Almohad invasion until the date of its appearance. Soon a chapel was erected in honor of the Virgin, which became a temple in 1664 as Marian devotion increased. The portico is made of stone with stairs and triple arch, although the facade has been retouched several times. In 1759 the dressing room, the transept and the cloister attached to the church were built. The paintings belong to José Micot, highlighting the dome of the transept, which represents the glorification of the Virgin Mary. The paintings and the decoration of the dome of the Virgin's dressing room are from this same artist. In it there is also a collection of painted copper from the Flemish school, belonging to Anton Wolfaert, and the school of Rubens. The image of Our Lady of the Henar is a Romanesque polychrome carving from the beginning of the 12th century, retouched in the 16th century. He holds his son in his lap as "Sede Sapientiae" and has been recently restored.
But besides its religious sense, the Sanctuary of the Henar presents a great attraction from the environmental point of view, since it is located in a wooded meadow, very propitious to enjoy the countryside.
Convent of the Trinity
In the neighborhood of the same name is what was the church and convent of the Trinity. The convent rises where formerly was the hermitage of San Blas. The Trinitarians decided to move to 1554 to be closer to the village, next to the old Church of the Trinity. On the Mudejar apse of the primitive temple, the new construction was built in Gothic style, later adapted to housing. In the War of Independence the French sacked the convent, destroying the documentary archive and appropriating everything that had some value. The convent was in use until the Confiscation of 1835.
Convent of La Concepción
On the other side of the San Francisco promenade stands the convent of La Concepción, founded in 1587. The set is simple lines, the church having undergone several modifications, the Community building a new temple in 1739. The cover of the old Gothic church is transversal to the current one and in it the escutcheons of the founders are carved in stone. The altarpiece of the primitive Altar Mayor is moved to adapt to the new temple. Decorated in 1589 by the painter Gabriel de Cárdenas Maldonado, it depicts scenes of the Birth and Childhood of Jesus. The altarpiece was topped by a Calvary, which is on the side of the nave on the right.
At present, the convent is still inhabited by a congregation of cloistered nuns of the Concepcionistas Mothers.
Convent of Santa Ana or Santa Isabel
In the Plaza de San Francisco is the old convent of Santa Isabel or Santa Ana, as it is popularly known. This convent dates from 1571, according to a tombstone on the access door, now chopped. It was founded by Dona Francisca de la Cueva, Countess de Luna and daughter of the third Duke of Alburquerque. It is a building of great proportions and although it has undergone many modifications, you can still see its three main parts: the church, which was used as a furniture store; the convent, destined mostly to private homes and the garden.
Convento de Santa Clara
The Convent of Santa Clara is located to the south of the town in the direction of Segovia. It is the oldest of the Convents of Cuéllar, of 1244 and it received the name of Santa María Magdalena. The set presents different styles as a result of the different construction stages it has gone through. There are remains of the oldest construction, along with the Gothic church, very well preserved, which has a Renaissance facade with a nave. The cloister is also Renaissance, with shields of the Cuevas, the Girón and the Ducal House. In the sixteenth century it was very restored, being buried there Íñigo de la Cueva and his wife Doña Ana de la Cueva y Mendoza, protectors of the convent. The main altarpiece of the temple is the work of Isaac de Juní, dedicated to the titular saint, who occupies the central part. In the lower choir of the convent there is a Romanesque Christ of great veneration in the congregation and to whom numerous miracles are attributed.
The convent is still inhabited by a community of Clare nuns of closure, being owned by the Duke of Alburquerque.
Convent of San Basilio
In front of the door of San Basilio is the old convent of San Basilio. In its beginnings it was on the banks of the Cega River but in 1606, the monks moved to the neighborhood of San Andrés, in the upper part of Cuéllar. The new convent was built in the early seventeenth century and in its church were relics of several martyrs and the Virgin of Our Lady of La Rochelle, late Gothic image brought from France that is currently in the church of San Andrés.