In Cuéllar there are still streets with that ancient flavor where we can recognize what life was like in past centuries.
The Palace of D. Pedro I
It was the ancestral home of the Velázquez de Cuéllar, located on Calle del Colegio, considered to be the best civil Romanesque palace preserved in Spain and declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1974. Pedro I, son of Alfonso XI and María de Portugal, established his court at Cuéllar in 1351, where he also celebrated his second marriage. Built in Romanesque style, the palace is built with ramparts and has a large facade with a stone doorway. It is decorated with columns and on them there are coats of arms that are also reproduced in the interior coffered ceilings, conserving some Gothic windows. It has been recently acquired by the City Council, is consolidated and can be visited.
Palace of Santa Cruz
Located in the street of the same name we find this brick building built in Mudejar style in the seventeenth century. Part of the exterior has been rehabilitated, not the interior. It has a wide wooden balcony that looks out over the wall in its eastern façade.
Old City Hall
The building was built at the beginning of the 16th century and currently houses the Cuéllar Town Hall, located in the Plaza Mayor. It has a beautiful Gothic-Renaissance courtyard and it contains a diptych by Juan Fernández, painted around 1429, which was originally in the Hospital de la Magdalena. In one of its tables a Calvary with the Virgin and San Juan at the feet is represented. In the other, an Assumption with the donor and his coat of arms at the bottom. In this building also the remains of Antonio de Herrera, chronicler of the Indies who was originally in the Church of Santa Marina.
House of the Red ones - Palace of Justice
Another family were the Rojas, whose surname still survives. Today his House is the Palace of Justice, also known as the "Casa de las Bolas", which belonged to D. Melchor de Rojas, founder of the convent of La Concepción. This last name is documented in the second half of the 15th century with Gómez de Rojas, captain of Enrique IV who came with Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba to help Olmedo. His descendants also intervened in the colonization of America, participating Gabriel de Rojas in the conquest of Peru with Pizarro. They also founded a chapel in the convent of San Francisco.
House of the Velázquez del Puerco
In the same street of San Pedro is the House of the Velázquez del Puerco, another of the oldest ranch families of Cuéllar. Important figures of the court belonged to her, among them Diego Velázquez de Cuéllar, conqueror of Cuba. The facade of the house has a pointed arch and on it the shields of the House, from the 16th century. The interior still conserves the beams and the decorative plaster of the time.
House of Los Daza
Strolling along the street of San Pedro is passed by the Casa de los Daza, on whose cover in stone are the shields of the House. This was one of the families of the town's ancestry, who even had their own chapel in the Church of San Miguel, in the chapel of San Sebastián, currently of Baptism.
Paneras and House of the Duke of Alburquerque
Very close to the walls of San Martín is La Panera or house of the Duke of Alburquerque, built at the end of the 18th century to store grain. Possibly it was also the second home of the Dukes or their relatives. It is a protected building and currently only a part is used.
Study of Grammar
It was founded by Arcediano Gómez González in 1424 to promote education among the cuellaranos, becoming this institution one of the most important in Castilla y León for centuries. In its beginnings it was installed in several houses, being the building that today is known later. Of him only the façade is conserved, having disappeared the central patio of double gallery.