Valsaín is located 4,3 kilometers from La Granja de San Ildefonso, in the heart of the Sierra del Guadarrama Natural Park, 15,2 km from Segovia and 74,8 km from Madrid.
The old craft of the barge shop stands out, which still exists; In fact, in the patron saint festivities of Valsaín, they celebrate a cutting of firewood every year to remember in this way this sacrificed trade of being a barge keeper, which are those who are dedicated to working the firewood from the mountain that the bargemen lowered for the sustenance of the families. .
What to see
Located in calle del Convento. It is currently a demolished part and is abandoned. It belonged to the Casa Trastamara, to the reign of Felipe II. The construction lasted during the second half of the 1682th century. In 1931 there was a fire that destroyed part of the building, and the bad economic situation of the country at that time prevented its restoration. It was declared a National Monument in XNUMX. The ruins of the New Tower, the Patio de Vacas de la Reina, the House of Trades and the arches of Juan Gómez de Mora remain.
Church of the Virgen del Rosario
Located in Crtra. de Robledo, at the entrance to Valsaín. Open during hours of worship.
Located in Crtra. of Robledo.
Monument to the Gabarreros
Located next to Crtra. from Robledo, as you pass the Eresma river bridge. It is a wooden cart loaded with logs of wood.
Located near the Sawmill. It consists of a single arch and is made of granite ashlar stone. On it stand some columns on which a wooden channel rests that was used to carry water to the Palace of Valsaín and to the El Parque estate. You can still see the sculpted shield of the House of the Habsburgs with the double-headed eagle. It was built under the direction of Luis de Vega in the XNUMXth century.
Convent of Casarás
Located within the Valsaín pine forest. The Eraso house was one of the sales and post houses that sheltered travelers. Built by Francisco de Erado. Its construction began in 1565 and ended in 1751, including a hermitage dedicated to Nuestra Señora de los Remedios. There is a legend about its ruins that attributes them to the Convent of Casarás, a Templar convent, half fortress, half monastery inhabited by the ghost of a Templar knight, who travels the Sierra de Guadarrama on the back of his horse.
Royal Workshop of Aserrio
It is a company dedicated to working with the wood of the pines of the Montes de Valsaín. It has the Valsaín Mountain and Sawmill Center, which is the Autonomous Organization of National Parks. Here they work all the wood from the Valsaín Mountains.
The forestry exploitation of the Valsaín Mountains led to the creation of the Real Taller de Aserrío Mecánico de Valsaín in 1884 and is currently listed as one of the most important buildings belonging to the industrial heritage of the 150th century. For more than XNUMX years it worked until the beginning of the XNUMXth century, when the economic depression stopped its activity. It currently houses the Valsaín Montes Center, a body under the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in charge of the exploitation of the forests and pine forests of Valsaín.
Recreational areas of Boca del Asno and Los Asientos
Along with the Boca del Asno Interpretation Center located in this same area, through which the Eresma River, CENEAM, the Sierra de Guadarrama National Park, the Valsaín Mountains, numerous hiking routes, we also find already in the border between Segovia and Madrid the port of Navacerrada where you can practice skiing and the port of Cotos which also has its ski resort. The Valsaín Mountains occupy an area of 672 hectares and are an example of management and sustainability in the use of natural resources.
Patron saint festivities in honor of the Virgen del Rosario:
They are celebrated the first weekend of September. The Virgen del Rosario is the patron saint of Valsaín. In addition to bullfighting, the log-cutting contest is very unique and connects with the ancient timber tradition of the place.
Other parties: there is log cutting also on January 17, which is San Antón.