Other Destinations in the Province of Segovia

Aguilafuente is a Segovian town located in the center of the province, in the beautiful region of Tierra de Pinares. It is an emerging tourist destination with rich history and culture surrounded by hectares of pine forest. 

Nestled in a plain of the Countryside between Arévalo and Santa María La Real. Pine groves, cereal and vineyards that are part of the DO Rueda. Next to the banks of the Voltoya.

This town, which has the shortest name of all the provincial geography, attributes the origin of its denomination to a medieval settler, and that was originally called Fannius, which derived in Fañe.

The Celts settled in these places with their transhumant cabins, hence the difficulty in finding forts.

Ayllón is a medieval town Historical-Artistic Set of national character from 1973.

It is not easy to find the precise date of the origin of this town, although there are vestiges of inhabitants of the area that already in the Paleolithic era, left testimonies of their hunting and grazing activities in the shelters of slate and quartzite that dot the environment.

The Comarca del Pirón and del Polendos is located northeast of the city of Segovia and includes eighteen towns belonging to seven municipalities: Cabañas de Polendos, with its annexes, Mata de Quintanar and Caserío de Quintanar;

In the year 1641 Cantalejo became Villa de Señorío with Don Fernando de Ojeda y Treviño. King Alfonso XIII gave the title of city in the year 1926.

Its origin in history arises, as in most of the populations of Castilian Extremadura, from the repopulation of this area during the twelfth century.

Carbonero el Mayor, Segovian town of 2.640 inhabitants, located between the towns of Valladolid and Segovia, is dedicated mainly to the pork industry, agriculture and livestock, also has to its credit an important artistic and cultural heritage.

Small town of less than 200 inhabitants is located in the northeast of the province of Segovia, andn a hollow on the banks of the Duratón River. This municipality stands out for its natural and cultural heritage. 

Casla is located on the slopes of the Sierra de Guadarrama, at the foot of Somosierra. The Cañada Real Soriana Occidental runs through its municipal area, a legacy of its transhumant past.

The origin of the municipality of Cerezo de Abajo is found in the mid-thirteenth century, under the name of Cereso de Yuso.

In this small town of 700 inhabitants, it is located 12 km from Íscar, and 14 from Cuéllar, it belongs to the community of Villa y Tierra de Cuellar.

This town of 276 inhabitants, belongs to the Community of Villa y Tierra de Cuellar, is located 17 km from Cuéllar.

Town located west of the La Campiña region on the CL-605, close to the province of Avila. The natives are called "hooves".

It plunges its roots in the year 1116 when it was populated by the Bishop of Segovia.

Located next to the NVI near the province of Ávila, in the plain of the Voltoya riverbank and crossed by the Adaja river. It belonged to the Community of Villa y Tierra de Arévalo.

The municipality of El Espinar is configured along an extensive valley located on the northern slope of the Sierra de Guadarrama, in the transition between the Central System and the Castilian Plateau.

From 1086 it was known as "Spiritu" and in 1247 it was renamed "Spiritu de Ruviales" because of its proximity to the village. It was already in the sixteenth century when it acquired the name of Espirdo.

In this small town of 273 inhabitants, it belongs to one of the sexmos of the community of Villa and Tierra de Cuéllar, and is located 17 km from Cuéllar.

The historical vestiges of this town are wide, which suggests that in other times it had some relevance.

Located north of La Campiña bordering Valladolid and Ávila on the banks of the Adaja and Eresma rivers. Its origin must be towards the thirteenth century called Aldea de La Fuente.

 In this place, remains of prehistoric sites have been found. The pine forests of this town stand out, with great productivity.

The first written data that tell us about the town are from the mid-XNUMXth century, but it seems that the municipality was previously repopulated by some tribes in the area where the Basques or Asturians were settled.

Fuentidueña, "Señora de las Fuentes", a town rich in water with numerous springs and the Duratón and Fuentes rivers.

In this little town of 713 inhabitants. It is located 15 km from Cuellar. In this place the amount of Visigoth deposits stands out. 

With a population close to the 250 inhabitants, Grajera is one of the lower middle age towns of Castilla y León, since most of the neighbors are young.

Until the 19th century it was called Hontanares only. In 1247 it was called Fontanares. Place where artisan wells, fountains, springs, etc. are born From fontana acqua, water source, in vulgar Latin it was abbreviated to fontana, fuente.

In its origins, Ituero and Lama, could be formed with the union of several population centers created during the Middle Ages, in which families from Galicia settled, so the current name of Ituero and Lama would come from two towns: El Caserío de Fituero and Lama.

Jemenuño is a municipality in the province of Segovia, which since 1970 is constituted as a Local Entity Minor belonging to Santa María la Real de Nieva, as it used to be an independent municipality.

La Higuera or "La Figuera" as it was called in the 18th century due to the fruit tree, has a beautiful story behind it:

It takes its name from the number of ponds or "Lavajos" that never dry up and that dot its entire territory, something that caught the attention of its first inhabitants.

It has an area of ​​64.5 km2 and is 46 km from the capital. Surrounded by a wide expanse of pine forests, it owes its name to the limestone rock on which it sits.

Villa located on an elongated spur that borders the course of the Riaza River, in the area corresponding to the eastern end of the Sierra de Pradales or Serrezuela.

The origins of Martín Muñoz de las Posadas are attributed to Martín Muñoz, noble gentleman of Burgos, who at the end of the s. XI.

In the 1011 year the count Sancho García arrived when it was called Montelionem, but it was not repopulated until the last quarter of the 11th century with southern Burgaleses, coming from Haza and Torregalindo.

Montuenga historically was an independent town. On January 29, 1970, that condition changed and now it is constituted as a minor local entity, becoming part of the municipality of Codorniz. They are separated by about three kilometers.

Mozoncillo, small town in the province of Segovia where the Pirón River waters its lands.

In this small town of 168 inhabitants, it is located 20 km from Iscar and 14 km from Cuellar, it belongs to the community of Villa y Tierra de Cuéllar, and depends on the municipality of Samboal. The name may come from "Navarrese", as they were the ones who repopulated this place.

The town was born as a result of the repopulation carried out by Alfonso VI, when the great Councils arose along the line of the south of the Duero. After being conquered from the Muslims, this area is repopulated under the reign of Alfonso VI.

Navafría is a mountain town located under the mantle of the pine forest that bears his name, with an average altitude higher than 1.200 m

Navalmanzano, with 1.135 inhabitants, belongs to the Community of Villa y Tierra de Cuellar, in the sexmo of Navalmanzano and is 12 km from Carbonero el Mayor, 25 from Cuéllar and 36 from Segovia on the A-601.

 To the north of the Countryside, in the riverbank area of ​​the Valley formed by the Pirón and the Eresma and surrounded by pine forests, Navas de Oro is a town with a resin tradition and famous for the trade of "peguero" or manufacturers of fish, a substance extracted from the residues of the pine forest and resins.

At 34 kilometers from the Segovian capital and located in a wide valley is Navas de San Antonio. With 328 inhabitants, it is a quiet town, well connected, that treasures an interesting monumental heritage and that has the hermitage of San Antonio del Cerro as one of its attractions. 

This town of 560 inhabitants is located 13 kilometers from the town of Cuéllar and 22 kilometers from Fuentidueña. 

Ortigosa del Monte is located at the foot of the Segovian slope of the Sierra de Guadarrama.

Otero de Herreros contains in its toponymic meaning the keys that define the place, related to the ancient trade of the ironmongers.

 Palazuelos de Eresma is a municipality that is located on the northern slope of the Sierra de Guadarrama. This Sierra is one of the three sectors in which the Central System can be divided in the province of Segovia.

Medieval town of Pedraza, incomparable frame declared Monumental Complex in 1951, distinguished by the "C" Tourism Awards of Castilla y León in 1993 and Europa Nostra Prize in 1996. An excellent place to walk, shop, eat or spend the night in a privileged environment of tranquility and authenticity.