The first written data that tell us about the town are from the mid-XNUMXth century, but it seems that the municipality was previously repopulated by some tribes in the area where the Basques or Asturians were settled.
Along with these, there was also news of Roman and Visigothic civilizations. The legend says that the town owes its name to Don Pelayo, the Asturian king who initiated the Reconquest. According to the story, Don Pelayo went down to the end where the municipality is now located and had a well dug to quench his thirst and that of his armies. Next to this source a camp was created around which Fuentepelayo formed.
Fuentepelayo has not always been a town with its own autonomy, at the beginning of the millennium it belonged to the nearby town of Cuellar and later to depend on the Bishopric of Segovia in 1181.
Fuentepelayo has always been linked to the monarchy. This union was revealed in 1277 when Alfonso X the Wise granted privileges to his council as a villa of the bishopric of Segovia. Fourteen years later, in 1291, Sancho IV settled a lawsuit in favor of the vassals of Fuentepelayo, which asked him to be exempt from the tribute of Acémilas and Fonsaderas.
He continued with the jurisdiction of the bishopric until Philip II, who needed money to pay for the campaigns of Flanders, with the Bull of Pope Gregory XIII, sold the town at auction and granted it to one of his colonels, Don Alonso Gómez Gallo, at the year 1589.
During this year the census showed a population of 430 inhabitants. The sale of the villa amounted to 7.070187 maravedíes. Before this operation became final, Felipe II gave the opportunity to the own neighborhood to buy the villa for the same amount offered by Gómez Gallo, but there were no interested parties or those that had not reached the requested amount. On the shield of Fuentepelayo a rooster appears as an allusion to this sale and the surname of the buyer ...
Feast of the Eighth and the dances of Paloteo
After the approval of the proposal by the Advisory Council of the Provincial Council, and passing the appropriate Commission, the final requirement has been met, its approval in the plenary session of the Provincial Council, where it has been ratified unanimously during the last session.
The purpose of this title is to guarantee the value and institutional support of the Provincial Council for those uses, representations, exhibitions or knowledge that define the intangible cultural heritage. This badge is granted in accordance with a regulation whose elaboration is taken as a reference by Unesco for the safeguarding of cultural and intangible heritage.
In the case of La Octava and the Paloteo dances, it has been confirmed that the celebration has been maintained with its traditional elements thanks to the commitment of the community, bagpipers and drummers and other volunteers who have made sure that the strokes are not lost and were happening. some generations to others, always linked to the liturgical rites of the Eighth, without there being evidence that at some point in history they have ceased to be celebrated.
Therefore, the party has been declared of Provincial Cultural Interest, and from the HYPERLINK Area www.eladelantado.com/buscador.asp?tema=2&buscain=Cultura Culture, in collaboration with the HYPERLINK www.eladelantado.com/buscador.asp?tema=2&buscain=Ay Ayuntamiento Fuentepelayo City Council, a program of dissemination of said event will be prepared, opening the doors to a regional and even national promotion.