Until the 19th century it was called Hontanares only. In 1247 it was called Fontanares. Place where artisan wells, fountains, springs, etc. are born From fontana acqua, water source, in vulgar Latin it was abbreviated to fontana, fuente.
It is one of the towns of smaller extension of the province, 6,13 km2, but turned in the last years into residential zone by its proximity to Segovia is Hontanares. Next to the river that gives its name and in a valley formed by this river course, the name of the town comes from the abundance of springs of which there was at least a decade: Real Source of the Caño, of the jets, of the Chopo, Bones of Valdesanchas, Aguapreñal, Horcajos, Valhondo, del Cura, del Regajo, or Tabanera.
In this town, the Mayor of Hontanares was written, a work with which the Juan Bravo theater in Segovia was inaugurated in 1919. The writer and the composer, the Rincón brothers, children of a famous notary of Segovia (Luis Rincón), lived in an estate in the town called El Jardín.
Next to the urban area is the route of the old railroad between Segovia and Medina del Campo, and where there was a stop where today has become the Via Verde, a place widely used for walks both by bike and walking. The new corridor is farthest from this small town of which are characteristic jewels that are grown on the banks of the river.
At one end of the hull there is an old foal that dates back to the 19th century and has been recovered as an ornamental element.
Inside the old urban center rises the church of Our Lady of the Assumption, created in the seventeenth century and has inside a nineteenth-century organ. The neighbors celebrate their patron saint festivities in honor of the Patronage of San José, the third weekend after Pentecost Sunday and Our Lady of the Assumption in August.