Jemenuño is a municipality in the province of Segovia, which since 1970 is constituted as a Local Entity Minor belonging to Santa María la Real de Nieva, as it used to be an independent municipality.
It is located west of the province, 38 km from Segovia capital. According to the INE, in 2016 Jemenuño had 90 registered inhabitants, it is currently a sparsely populated municipality. The majority of the population is elderly and immigrants, since the youth have left the town for reasons of study or work. It is a town dedicated to the primary sector, that is, agriculture and livestock. As for the livestock sector we can find a diverse variety, there are sheep, pigs, poultry and dairy cattle.
Cattle occupy a quite important place in this town since there is a dairy that has 400 cows in production and 400 to breed, producing 16.000l daily for the dairy industry. It should be noted that it is the company in which there are several working inhabitants of the town.
20 of January San Sebastián:
Formerly it was a men's party, now it's for everyone. The mayor is in charge of buying pickle. At night, all the neighbors gather at the bar in the village to enjoy dinner and company.
5 February Santa Águeda:
It's a women's party which lasts all weekend. At the beginning of Saturday they go to church with the regional dress of Segovia. And on Sunday they go to mass with party dress and mantilla. After the mass the virgin is taken out in procession, accompanied by the mayordomas. In the route of the Virgin through the town there are several stops in which there is a tradition of dancing the jota in front of Santa Águeda. On Saturday night the women of the brotherhood meet with their respective husbands and the village priest, doing the same on Sunday at lunchtime.
15 Mayo, San Isidro:
The fact of being Jemenuño a town of farmers, makes them have a great devotion because in the procession of this farmers send the saint turn to their land and the priest blesses them.
13 June San Antonio:
It is a celebration of men, in which one goes to mass on Saturday morning taking the saint in procession and performing the same route as Santa Águeda and dancing the jota at the different stops. After the mass the responsory is sung in honor of San Antonio de Padua. Then the men of the brotherhood make a soft drink accompanied by dulzainas.
It should be noted that nine days before the date, a novena is held every night, usually attended by the majority of the population, since it is the saint who is most devoted to him.
18 July santa Marina:
Although it is not the patron saint of the town, it is a long-awaited party, especially for the youth of the town and the surrounding villages, since apart from going to mass in the morning and taking the virgin in procession accompanied by the dulzainas, when more people attend the town is at night because it offers verbena Friday and Saturday to the whole world.
25 Julio Santiago apostle:
This day there is a tradition to go down into the pine forest to run the tortilla. There the people of the town come down grouped by families or by rocks to have a snack and to have a good time playing there, talking and singing until nightfall.
15 August our lady:
Our Lady of the Assumption is the patron of the town the acts celebrated in this celebration are similar to those already mentioned in the previous parties. It should be noted in this party that there is a cultural week in which a variety of activities aimed at all audiences is carried out. As tradition in this party is to go down to the park below to eat and enjoy all of a great paella on 15 day, the day of the party
- The present church has known, throughout its history, several stages in its construction. Until the beginning of the seventeenth century there must have been a small church or chapel.
- The hermitage is rectangular and the main façade faces the town. We found it attached to the cemetery.
- Currently the town hall is located in the building of the old schools of the town. It has been renovated a short time ago. Now we can find the doctor's office, on the floor below and the town hall itself, at the top.
- The bar is the meeting place for the people of the town. There are celebrated several of the parties and popular meals. It has been renovated a year ago and now has more space.
- The square is a central place in the town. There we can find a deposit that supplies water to the whole town.
- It is a very emblematic place for the inhabitants of Jemenuño, since the orchestras of the parties and the activities that take place during the cultural week take place there.