The town was born as a result of the repopulation carried out by Alfonso VI, when the great Councils emerged along the southern line of the Duero.
After being conquered from the Muslims, this area was repopulated under the reign of Alfonso VI. The rivers Voltoya and Eresma cross the municipality of Nava, which is included within the Denomination of Origin Vinos de Rueda. Within its territory is the medieval deserted El Lomo.
Nava de la Asunción is part of the Community of Villa y Tierra de Coca. It was formed with the sum of ancient customs plus the needs of the time. It was born as a result of the repopulation carried out by Alfonso VI, when the great Councils emerged along the southern line of the Duero. Common interests of several populations caused that these were grouped in a Community. Later, King Alfonso VIII of Castile supported and gave force to these great councils.
After being conquered from the Muslims, this area was repopulated under the reign of Alfonso VI and all the nearby villages emerged, under this demographic impulse. At the end of the 1773th century it was already called La Nava de Coca and later, in 3000, King Carlos III granted the title of Villa to Nava, adding to its name that of 'La Asunción', the patron Virgin of the town. It currently has a population of around XNUMX inhabitants.
What to see
-The Parish Church "Our Lady of the Assumption", located in the Plaza Mayor, built on what was an old Romanesque temple. The tower and part of the entrance door, a classic Romanesque feature, are preserved from this period. The rest of the building will be built in the 1740th century, and it is a clear distinctive of "rigging pinariego" (brick and cloth), except for the octagonal dome, which is only made of brick. The church has a Latin cross plan, formed by three naves. The altarpiece of the main altar is the work of the Segovian sculptor Manuel Suárez, dated in XNUMX.
-The Hermitage of Santo Cristo de la Expiración, the only one that remains today of the three that came into being in the municipality. It is dated in the XNUMXth century and is being built in different phases, depending on the contributions that are being made to the work, hence the different architectural styles.
-El Caño del Obispo, located in the Plaza of the same name, ordered to be built in 1683 by Bishop Fray Sebastián. It is a Mannerist fountain, composed of a slender belfry with a split pediment, Herrerian balls, impost lines and a second body of pilasters presided over by its own coat of arms.
-Casa del Caño, dates from the year 1757 and is due to a foundation of a mayorazgo of the "De Tobía" family. On its cover there is a shield, it is older than the house itself since it is dated 1680. In later times it became the property of the Gil de Biedma family, to which the famous poet Jaime Gil de Biedma belonged.
-Monument to Fray Sebastián de Arévalo Y Torres Statue located in the Plaza del Caño, inaugurated in 1982, the work of the sculptor José María García Moro. Fray Sebastián de Arévalo y Torres, born in Nava on October 31, 1619, Bishop of Mondoñedo and El Burgo de Osma was one of the most relevant figures of the town since thanks to him the construction of the "Caño of the Bishop ", in addition to financial contributions so that their income will be allocated to the repairs and conservation of the fountain and what is left over is distributed among the poor at Easter each year. He also presented the Nava parish in 1689 with a set of silver chandeliers. He died on January 20, 1709 in the diocese of El Burgo de Osma.
-Meeting Station Jaime Gil De Biedma , showroom with different spaces dedicated to the Poet: Life and work and their relationship with this municipality, International Poetic Award, artistic contributions from different authors ...
-Municipal park, one of the most attractive places in Nava due to the richness of its vegetation, housing a large number of trees of various species. It is a haven of tranquility and freshness in the summer months and recreation for children.
-Mural painting (Street Art) Impressive paintings and large sgraffito on walls and walls that have turned the town into an open-air museum thanks to the artist “Mr. Momman ”.
In the outskirts of the town, have the following important bodies of water: Bodón Herrera, de los Judíos, Bodón Largo, Libera, Las Navas, del Retamal, Bodón Lozano, Los Bodoncillos, Estanque de Arriba and many other ponds that surrounded the town, in addition to multiple sources scattered throughout the term.
The humid areas, as well as the farming areas and the meadows, were complemented by an area of sandy dunes called "barján", originated by the constant and strong winds from the north-northwest.
La Mesalta is a spectacular pine area known as "Mar de Pinares" where you can see extraordinary views of pine trees with such an extension that the distance clouds it. It is mainly constituted by the PINAR DE LAS ORDAS, there you can enjoy a public picnic area.
The Ribera de Los Alisos. It is a magnificent set of color and diversity. It allows to admire one of the many gorges of the Eresma. There is the house of the poet Gil de Biedma.
Routes and trails
Nava de la Asunción with 83 square kilometers of extension, has a network of trails, roads, trails and paths, which make it especially attractive for the diversity of landscapes, some of wide and clear views, and others in the vicinity of the courses of water, with special flavor. There is also the Ruta de Gil de Biedma and routes for the Rueda Denomination of Origin.
San Blas (3 of February)
Santa Águeda (5 of February)
Carmelites and Virgin of Fatima (May 13)
Holy Christ of the Expiration (for ten days from the first Sunday after the 13 of September)
Illustrious figures related to this town are: the Bishop Fray Sebastián Esteban de Arévalo y Torres, the poet Jaime Gil de Biedma, the painter Isidro Herranz, the writer Quintín Villagrán and the Military Segismundo Casado.
Bishop Fray Sebastián de Arévalo y Torres
Fray Sebastián de Arévalo y Torres, bishop of Mondoñedo and the Burgo de Osma, whose remains rest in this last town, which is still a special memory in his hometown.
He was the 'begging bishop', the one who did so much for those who had fewer resources.
Segismundo Casado (Nava de la Asunción, Segovia, 1893 - Madrid, 1968). A Spanish military man, he was a member of the Freemasonry, graduated from the General Staff and commander of the escort of the President of the Republic (1934-1936) when the civil war broke out.
He fought in defense of the Second Republic. In 1936 he promoted to lieutenant colonel and the 17 of May of 1938, in the front of Aragon, was promoted to colonel and, replacing the general Miaja, was assigned to him the Headquarters of the Army of the Center.
Jaime Gil de Viedma
Spanish poet He was born in Barcelona within a family of the upper middle class. His childhood and youth he lived in this town, which in many of his verses leaves evidence of how much he joined Nava. He studied law in Barcelona and Salamanca, for whose university he graduated. From 1955 he worked in a company linked to his family. His poetic work is not very extensive, but has been considered one of the most interesting of his generation, that of social poets.
In honor of him, the International Poetry Prize "Jaime Gil de Biedma y Alba" is celebrated in Nava de la Asunción and on the anniversary of his death.