Vestiges of settlers in the area, already in Palaeolithic times, left testimonies of their hunting and grazing activities in the slate and quartzite shelters that dot the surroundings.
Everything suggests that the place initially known as Vernaldos, was an effect of the Christian repopulation that took place in the s. XII. Its municipal term, quite restricted in its origins, had an unusual growth when, as a result of the late medieval crisis, several places of the environment, such as Constanzana or Valverde, depopulated and became part of Bernardos during the second half of the 20th century. XV
In the sixteenth century, the aggregation and growth of the population, boosted the economy of the place. Although the cereal agriculture, the vineyard and the cattle grazing, were the bases of the local activity. The course of the river Eresma, promoted from time ago the construction of mills. In the middle of s. XVI the population, apart from engaging in cereal, vineyards and sheep, also makes rough cloths.
In 1559 on the occasion of the renovation of the real works carried out at the request of Felipe II, the slate subsoil of Bernardos, led during these dates to a phase of splendor. In the S. XIX the cloth industry, became an essential support of the dynamism of Bernardos.
What to see
- Archaeological Park
- Engravings of the Palaeolithic
- Cerro del Castillo
- Ethnographic Heritage
- The Natural Environment
Festivities of August
Rise of the Virgin, each 10 years