In the 1011 year the count Sancho García arrived when it was called Montelionem, but it was not repopulated until the last quarter of the 11th century with southern Burgaleses, coming from Haza and Torregalindo.
In 1123 it is already cited as Monteio, adding the compound suffix of the Vega de la Serrezuela, referring to the fertile plain of the Riaza River and the Serrezuela de Pradales.
Still today it preserves a medieval aspect with its walls and ruins of the castle. On the contrary, the church of San Andrés has been recently redone, but it keeps a large collection of silver works, among which stands out a chalice made in Segovia towards 1500. The underground cellars of this villa are also typical. In the neighborhoods of the nucleus is the hermitage of Our Lady of the Valley; the splendid ruins of the old church of Casuar, a place already depopulated in the eighteenth century, but which retains the external walls, the semicircular apse, the triumphal arch and the half-barrel vaults of the presbytery, the best Romanesque of Castile; It is also located in an incomparable and lonely place, next to the Riaza River. Also in this place is a reserve of raptors and scavengers; and several natural caves, like the one of the Owl, of the Cazorra, and of the Murcielaguera.
What to see
- Natural Park of the Sickles of the Riaza River
- Church of San Andrés
- Hermitage of the Virgen del Val
- Puente Grande, of Roman origin
Festivities of San Blas, the 3 of February
Fiesta de San Marcos, the 24 of April