From 1086 it was known as "Spiritu" and in 1247 it was renamed "Spiritu de Ruviales" because of its proximity to the village. It was already in the sixteenth century when it acquired the name of Espirdo.
The term is confined to the north by La Higuera and Brieva, the south zone by La Lastrilla, the east zone by Tizneros and the western zone La Mata de Quintanar and Bernuy de Porreros.
The term is located in the morphostructural unit called the Duero Basin and in the natural region of the Miocene countryside or undulating plains, the land of the cereal par excellence of the province. Several rivers, Riaza, Durató, Cega, Pirón, Eresma and Moros, coming from the head of the sierra, bathe the countryside and cross it, forming wide valleys and terraces. It is a territory of agricultural industry.
The origin of the name of Espirdo comes from 1086 when it was already inhabited with the name of Spiritu. In 1247 it was called Spiritu de Ruviales, because it was near the depopulated area of Ruviales. But since the XNUMXth century it already had its current name. The origin of the name Tizneros is probably a derivative of the verb smudge or stain with tizones, which is why it is related to some ancient charcoal burner, so frequent in the area.
The origin of the name La Higuera appears in a document from the thirteenth century, it is cited as La Figuera, due to the presence of this fruit tree in the area. Legend has it that a long time ago the entire term was planted with vineyards. Two sisters lived in one place, Santa Rita and Santa Quiteria, who cursed the vines and lamented that they could not be exchanged for another crop. God asked them if they wanted to turn the vines into something else: one said figs and the other figs. And God made his wishes come true by covering the entire term of fig trees that bear figs and figs. The places of interest that we find in the municipality are the Cerro de Castillejo for its residual reliefs and the Mirador del Alto de la Ermita de Veladíez.
What to see
Church of San Pedro Apóstol in Espirdo
It is composed of a nave with ashlar stone. It has pentagonal apses with two windows, a cornice and a stone tower, with two bodies, the upper one with bells. The most remarkable thing is the baptismal font composed of a frustoconical cup that rests on a small foot built with cement to hold it, about 5 cm thick. The decoration of the sink is smooth. At the head is the image of the Virgin of Veladíez. The carving represents the Child seated on the Virgin's knees, turned and blessing with his right hand. The main altarpiece from the Baroque period made in 1680 by Juan de Ferreras.
Hermitage of the Virgin of Veladíez
It was the old church of a medieval town. It is 1,5 km outside the town in the direction of Segovia and located on a small hill. A few meters from the walls of the building is the Visigoth necropolis from which the hermitage takes its name. It is rectangular in shape, built with plastered masonry with reinforcements of ashlars in the corners. From the Romanesque period, it only conserves some cenecillos in the nave and the portal located on the southern facade. The façade is made up of a semicircular arch and two archivolts decorated with a thick bocelle and nacelle. The thread of the arch is decorated with rosettes inscribed in pearl clippings. The capitals represent a pair of birds facing each other on the right and a human figure with large hands holding a vegetal ribbon that vomits from its mouth.
Church of San Juan Bautista in Tizneros:
Located on Iglesia street.
Church of Santo Tomás in La Higuera
It preserves a splendid Romanesque façade where its figurative capitals stand out and whose decoration is inspired by the master of the Santo Domingo de Silos monastery. Inside there is a baroque altarpiece made by Juan de Ferreras in 1691.
-Source of Espirdo: located on Iglesia street. It is restored and next to it there is a sink.
-Parrales Fountain in Espirdo: starting from La Mata street, go straight on and there is a dirt road on the left hand side, for that we do not deviate, we go straight on and take the second dirt road on the left hand side that reaches a house with livestock farm, the source is located right on that land down past a small wire fence.
-Fuente de la Higuera: located in Calle Baja.
Old shoeing foals
-Potro de Espirdo: located in Crtra de Segovia.
-Potro de Tizneros: located in calle la Fuentona. .
-Potro de La Higuera: located on Baja street. It is restored.
-El Chopo: at the entrance to Espirdo. It is a recreational area with sports courts such as fronton, soccer field and basket. There are swings and it is a recreation area. The stream of San Medel passes through here.
-El Charcón: Description and location: it is located in calle de la Mata. It is a recreational area. There are swings and it is a playground for children.
What to do
The Places of Natural Interest include the Cerro de Castillejo for its residual reliefs and the viewpoint from the top of La Ermita de Veladíez. In recent years it has had a great boom in rural tourism due to its immense tranquility and the natural landscapes that are around it. The Network of Green Corridors has helped to promote eco-tourism routes, in relation to nature, aimed at sports and the contemplation of cultural wealth. Prime the land of the cereal and its plains are wavy. On its banks there are poplars, pines, poplars, ash trees, holm oaks, willows, elms and hawthorns, but without a doubt the most striking species is Populus nigra, recognized as Tree Protection.
Areas of Environmental Interest
-Arroyo de San Medel. The San Medel stream passes through Tizneros, La Higuera and Espirdo. Pass through the Chopo recreational area in Espirdo.
-Charca de La Cerquilla De Tizneros. It is located in Tizneros, at the entrance of this district as you come from Espirdo. It is a natural pond where ducks live and there is vegetation.
-Archaeological Site of Parrales. It is located in Espirdo. Remains from the Visigothic period have been found in an excavation they made.
Mountain bike route and hiker in the Arroyos de Polendos and San Medel
It is a bicycle route through the Polendos and San Medel streams. The areas through which these two streams run are a good example of the landscape that is formed by river erosion in the limestone areas that border the Segovian mountains. Both are short-haul and variable flow, but of great scenic beauty and both originate in the mountains, in the vicinity of Torrecaballeros. The Polendos stream flows into the Pirón river and the San Medel into the Eresma. The route begins and ends in Espirdo. Its length is 26,5 km.
More info here
Route Cañada Real from Sotosalbos to Tres Casas
La Cañada Real coincides from Sotosalbos to Cabanillas del Monte with the GR-88 Long Distance Path, marked with white and red signs.- and with the recent conduction of the gas pipeline (yellow posts) -. A rectilinear layout with few slopes is maintained at an altitude between 1.160 m and 1.210 m.
More info here
Stage 1 of the Camino de San Frutos
The length is 11,8 km, the difficulty is medium-low, and the approximate time is 3 hours. This first stage is common to both variants of the Camino. More info here
Karts Circuit located in La Higuera. It has a track of 1.450 meters of rope with an average width of 8,5 meters, in which several different routes can be configured. More info http://www.kartpetania.com/
Holidays and traditions
- Festivities in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary: celebrated the second week of September
- Patron saint festivities for Our Lady of Veladíez: they are celebrated on the first Sunday of May.
- Patron saint festivities in honor of San Juan: held in August. San Juan is the patron saint of Tizneros.
In La Higuera:
- Patron saint festivities in honor of San Antonio: are held in June. San Antonio is the patron saint of La Higuera.
- Festivities in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary: held in October
- Mowing and Threshing Days the third weekend of July. Organized by the association La Lastra
- Hunt cleaning as every year in the Criazón de la Cacera de San Medel.
- Pilgrimage: the pilgrimage of Nuestra Señora de Veladíez is celebrated on the first Sunday of May. In Espirdo.
Information on tourist services here