It has its roots in the year 1116 when it was populated by the Bishop of Segovia. In 1247 it was cited as the Collado de Satosalbos, perhaps because it began as a neighborhood of Sotosalbos.
During the XNUMXth century it was already known as it is today. It belongs to the Community of Villa y Tierra de Pedraza.
The main monumental attraction of the town, outside of the landscape, is played by the ruins of the former monastery of Santa María de la Sierra, part of whose patrimonial pieces are scattered by different parishes in the area. The area where it is located is called the Mata del Fraile. It was founded in 1132 and a few years later, in 1212 it was occupied by the Cistercians of Sacramenia (Coto de San Bernardo, where the church of Santa María de Sacramenia was located). Then the church was built, with three long naves, with pointed barrel vaults, semicircular apses and a large rose window, on the cover, flared and with saw archivolts. From here, Juan I directed the foundation of the neighboring Paular Monastery, located on the other side of the Sierra. With the French invasion the monks disappeared and in the 18th century the monastery began to collapse. These ruins were declared a National Historic Landmark in 1931 and today it is privately owned.
What to see
Monastery of Santa María de la Sierra
It is the most important work of the place. It dates back to the year 1133 when the Benedictines settled there with the help of Alfonso VII. It was rebuilt in the 13th century when it became 1212 in a Cistercian abbey.
To this time correspond the architectonic rest that conserves of ogival arcs, pointed barrel vaults and a rosette in the main facade. Its decline began in the mid-eighteenth century when the walls began to sink, since only two monks lived there. The Confiscation did the rest. However, its ruins were declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931.
For its part, the Romanesque image of Our Lady of the Sierra that was venerated there, was moved in 1825 to the parish of Sotosalbos.
Church of San Nicolás de Bari
The current church of San Nicolás is a seventeenth-century building, probably built on the remains of the ancient temple, of Romanesque origin, to which the access arch to the baptistery and probably also the baptismal font would have belonged. The cover is resolved with a semicircular arch that rests on jagged mounds and jambs, and the archivolt has a bocel profile, while in the chambrana the remains of a few diamond points can still be seen.
Inside there is a small museum located in the tower that contains works of art from several churches in the area, including the processional cross made in 1643. Inside the temple we find the baptismal font, 124 cm in diameter by 96 cm in height, with hemispherical glass decorated 33 gallons crowned by a valance that, although quite deteriorated, hints of fleurs de lis.
San Isidro. 15 for May.
San Juan Bautista, the June 22
Virgen de la Salud, 22 in August, although the penultimate weekend of August is celebrated.
Patron Saint Fiestas of Collado Hermoso in honor of the Virgen de la Salud.
Our Lady of the Rosary, 5 October and celebrated the first weekend of October.