Otero de Herreros contains in its toponymic meaning the keys that define the place, related to the ancient trade of the ironmongers.
The origins of metallurgy are lost in the mists of time and in the Iron Age, it was already practiced by the Celtic peoples of the Peninsula, whose perfection was known to the Romans.
The original name of Otero de Herreros was Ferreros (iron in Latin), the old town whose ruins still rise in a deviation of the road to Valdeprados and that was abandoned towards the end of the XV century (1460-1480), locating the new town in a high or hill. You can see the wrecked and destroyed wall of what was once the Romanesque church of San Pedro, marking in its surroundings the remains of houses and foundations that were visited and served as inn to the Archpriest of Hita, as it says the Book of Good Love.
What to see
Hermitage of the Virgin of Ladrada
The crosses cross the town and end on a mound with three crosses together, that crown the Sanctuary, in a parallelism of the Crucifixion, called "The Calvary of the Virgin". Its Latin cross plant extends its arms over a meadow of underground fountains. The interior is of a single nave, whose walls are articulated with arcades, highlighting its peculiar geometric ornaments in its intrados with a beautiful invoice, as well as the headboard with a very good ogive vault finish.
Hermitage of San Roque (BIC)
It is located on a hill overlooking the road. It is a temple of small dimensions also known as the Humilladero and the True Cross, whose works were directed by the stonemason Juan de Gogorza, in 1583, under the invocation of the saint protector of the poor and sick. It is made of masonry, with granite blocks in the corners, highlighting the facade, also carved in ashlar masonry, with its two semicircular arches that constitute the entrance to the site. Once inside, the paintings completely cover its walls, except for the part of the altar. On the left side, the different scenes of the Passion of Christ are narrated.
Parish Church of the Holy Martyrs Justo and Pastor
Renaissance style, for the purity in the layout of its lines dates from the late sixteenth century. It worked many good stonemasons related to the Cathedral of Segovia, with ribbed vault and Latin cross plant, highlights the magnificent altarpiece of the seventeenth century that presides over the high altar and its beautiful images, being also important other side altarpieces, with polychrome carvings, its processional crosses, as well as its imposing organ. The plateresque doorway with granite staircase is very beautiful, as well as a vault located under the grandstand or choir. It is not strange that the tower served to monitor the enemy in past contests given its height and the views it provides of the entire region.
Cerro de los Almadenes
The town contains the scattered traces of memory, of History. Notably, the mines that were exploited by the Rome of Augustus, in what is known as the "Cerro de los Almadenes" Arabic term that means "Hill of the Mines." The Cerro de los Almadenes It is a mining / metallurgical deposit, in the foothills of the Sierra del Quintanar, very close to the Sierra del Guadarrama National Park in which important discoveries have been made, since 2009 by a team of researchers from the SEHA (Spanish Society for the History of Archeology). Already at the beginning of the 70s, a study was made on the Cerro de los Almadenes and it was concluded that the numerous fragments of slag brick found came from the interior lining of the kilns. A grinding table was also found, in which the mineral was previously prepared, crushing it, before its fusion in the furnaces. This grinding system dates back to the Bronze Age, and in Roman times it was used, above all, to grind gold ore. It is worth noting the Aretina ceramics, which were found while these works were being carried out, which was the mine wall, corresponding to the imperial era.
Festivities of the Corpus
Holy martyrs Justo and Pastor, 6th August
Feast of Santiago the Apostle, is celebrated in the neighborhood of La Estación, July 25
Pilgrimage of the Virgen de la Adrada, Day of the waters, in spring
Festivities of the fifths In Christmas
Santa Águeda, February