It takes its name from the number of ponds or "Lavajos" that never dry up and that dot its entire territory, something that caught the attention of its first inhabitants.
48 kilometers from Segovia, in the corridor of the N-VI, in the region of La Campiña is this municipality of 135 inhabitants. Villa's concession was by deed on November 17, 1628 by King Felipe IV and later by royal decree, signed in Madrid on December 31, 1628, delivered by D. Baltasar de la Cueva on behalf of the King. Labajos is located on the former Camino Real that ascended to the port of Guadarrama and is a passage to the northwest of the peninsula through the N-VI. From its past as a royal road, there is still a building in the town that was used as a mule sale.
Its term houses a Special Zone for Birds (Zepa) and is an area of hunting interest. The Cañada Real Castellano Leonesa Oriental runs through the municipality.
What to see
St. Peter's Church
Located in Plaza de la Constitución, next to the Town Hall. Built in the XNUMXth century, renovated in the XNUMXst century. It is a temple made of masonry and a mixture of stone and brick, with carved granite edges. Its bell tower is of three bodies. In a side chapel is the Santo Cristo de la Agonía. On the outside you can see the head and the bell tower of three bodies. And inside, the altarpiece of the Main Altar stands out, in a baroque style (XNUMXth century) attributed to Francisco de Prado, where Saint Peter, patron saint of this town, is enthroned.
Located in Plaza de la Constitución. It is a XNUMXth century building. It is made of exposed brick. It is restored. The arcade that runs along the entire main façade stands out, consisting of five brick arches.
Sales of muleteers.
It still includes a building that came to be used as a rental in what is now the N-VI road.
Pond with a boat
The construction of the pond starts from the wetlands or "lavajos" that populated the area. It serves as a settlement and stay area for many aquatic birds for which the residents have built a peculiar refuge: a boat, baptized with the name of El Coloso II.
Hermitage of Christ (XV century)
It is about 4 km from the town on the mount of Cristo de la Magdalena, between Labajos and Muñopedro. It is in the process of rehabilitation.
Located between Labajos and Villacastín, between 1 and 2 km from Labajos, where the Cañada Real Leonesa passes. The townspeople went to collect water from this source for cooking. It is pre-Romanesque.
Fountain of the priest and Fountain of Christ
Pre-Romanesque. Located in the heart of Cañada Real Leonesa, 1 and 4 km from Labajos respectively.
Holidays and traditions
-Management festivities in honor of the Christ of the Agony:
they take place the last weekend of August. There are cultural activities, children, etc, popular paella, etc.
-Local holiday: June 29, is San Pedro, patron of Labajos.
-The Grandmother of San Pedro Tradition that takes place the day after the celebration of the Apostle's Day. Neighbors met to drink vermouth and this custom became a tradition.
-Romería: it is celebrated in the hermitage of Christ the weekend before the patron saint festivities.
The Cañada Real Castellano Leonesa Oriental runs through the municipality. Regarding the landscape values of the municipal term, they are: lavajos, cereal steppe landscape, eastern Leon royal canyon, isolated spots of holm oak.
Other data of interest
Chickpea sowing is being promoted because Labajos was formerly a producer of chickpeas, which stand out for their good quality. They are small and have an excellent flavor. Currently, the Laboratory of the Provincial Council has obtained the Collective or Guarantee Mark for the legume. Every October the "Golden Chickpea" is delivered to a known person from outside the town.
To consult information on tourist services click here: http://segoviaturismo.es/servicios-turisticos