esenfr

The Alhóndiga

The Alhóndiga

CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

The Alhóndiga de Segovia was built in the early sixteenth century during the reign of the Catholic Monarchs, it is a building in the industrial Gothic style and is one of the few examples of industrial architecture in the reign of the Catholic Monarchs.
He performed the functions of the city's grain warehouse. A corn exchange is a name of Arabic origin that defines an establishment where the grain was sold, bought and even stored, whose purpose was to help the neighbors and mainly the farmers in times of scarcity. On its main façade we find a doorway in the Elizabethan style that has two repeated coats of arms of the city of Segovia on each side of it.

The building retains the original structure proper to its function, three parallel bays with a steep access ramp to the top of the central section, restored in recent years.

In the past, three bread boxes were stored inside to store wheat called Glory, Purgatory and Hell.
Since 1925 it has been the headquarters of the Municipal Historical Archive, the main warehouse has an extension of 1.500 linear meters of conventional shelving and also an exhibition hall.

It is located in Plaza de la Alhóndiga, 1.
  • Plaza de la Alhóndiga, 1 40001 Segovia
  • Tel. 921 462 779
  • www.segovia.es
  • Schedule: According to exhibition
  • Price: Free