esenfr

Cuellar

Cuellar

It is the Segovian population of the Romanesque Mudéjar or Romanesque brick, an art that predominates in most of its churches.

The church of San Martín, has been operating for some years as a Mudéjar Interpretation Center, with a light and sound show, whose visit is highly recommended.

The church of San Andrés has a considerable number of important sculptural works, highlighting a Byzantine Romanesque calvary and mural paintings in the apses. The one of San Esteban possesses an impressive apse, keeping in its interior several tombs of alabaster. The temple of San Miguel has a meritorious baroque altarpiece and a recumbent Christ that is attributed to Gregorio Fernández. The largest temple in the town was the Convent of San Francisco, which remains. The church of El Salvador stands out for the arches that serve as flying buttresses that reinforce the Mudejar apse; retains a Romanesque cover and the image of the Virgen de la Palma. The church of Santa María de la Cuesta, with a slender tower, is said to have belonged to the Templars, although there is no documentation to confirm it. In the park of San Francisco is the Convent of the Conception, which dates from the sixteenth century, and is inhabited by religious Concepcionistas Franciscanas. On the outskirts of the town is the Convent of Santa Clara, a monumental building dating from 1244 and inhabited by Poor Clares Franciscans.

Although they do not have religious character, in Cuéllar it is necessary to also visit the castle, the Hospital of the Magdalena, its diverse and ancient doors, etc.