The first writings on its origin date from the mid-twelfth century. It has two parishes.
The church of Santa María la Mayor, located in the center of the urban area, has remains of the 12th century of its first construction; two covers, the one of the north, of the flamboyant gothic in limestone, that is the main one, and the one of the midday, also Gothic but of red stone. The interior is Gothic, with three naves, already belonging to the sixteenth century, and it is very worthy of observing the low choir, by 1535. Emphasizes the altar of the Angustias, with a beautiful sculptural group of La Piedad due to Pedro de Bolduque in which a curious detail is observed, and is that one of the men holds in his hand a thorn from the crown, which teaches Mary . Also of the florid Gothic is the pulpit of limestone, whose origin is ignored. Among the valuable works of goldsmithing include the custody, Diego de Olmedo (Gothic XVI) and a parish cross considered the most beautiful work of Francisco Ruiz. Another parish cross of Oquendo that belonged to the parish of El Salvador is also preserved.
The other parish, of El Salvador, accumulates several architectural styles and it is necessary to highlight a magnificent Mudejar coffered ceiling, well restored. Several reliquaries are kept, one of them containing a small fragment of the Cross of Christ.
It is recommended to visit Fuentepelayo in the festivities of the Octave of Corpus, in whose procession the custody and crosses mentioned above take place, also celebrating a very typical and ancestral popular fiesta.